Friday 6 June 2008

Charlotte Wilkins' walking challenge: blog 2

27th May 2008 16:47
It's Too Hot to Walk!

I hadn't realised quite how little I would normally do on holiday until I came away, knowing I had to try and walk 10,000 steps a day. Last week I was led into a false sense of security... I thought to myself ' This walking malarkey is pretty easy really, and quite possible to fit into daily life'.... that was until I arrived in Crete. It's been 30 degrees at it's coolest. The swimming pool and bar are within 100 yards of my apartment and the beach is right there, ready for me to roll out of bed and straight on to a sun lounger. It would be so easy for me to walk as little as possible and do absolutley nothing! Well, that's what people go on holiday to do isn't it? Nothing, Nada, nowt! But I've had a job to do - walking 10,000 steps a day. I'm not going to lie. This week has been incredibly difficult. The temptation to lie by the pool all day with a beer has been immense, but my boyfriend and family have been really supportive of this challenge and we've tried our best to go for as many walks as we can to try and make the target. But there have been days when the heat has got too much, and on those days I've not done my quota. The worst part has been remembering to take off my pedometer when I've gone for a swim - and working out where to put it when I'm wearing a dress. One night I even strapped it to my boyfriend's waist when we went out for dinner. I figured we would both be walking the same distance, so I didn't think it was cheating :)I think when I return to Brighton and go back to work I'll find the challenge alot easier, but I'm going to try my hardest next week to make up for the steps I've missed.

No comments: